ENTP (Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving) is one of the sixteen personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test.
There’s nothing an ENTP loves more than a good argument. They can argue on any side and enjoy playing devil’s advocate. For ENTPs, the pleasure is in taking ideas apart and seeing what really works and what doesn’t.
They love to smash icons, question authority, and break down outmoded ideas.
Their intellectually combative nature means that ENTPs can be difficult to work with, and they can bruise others’ feelings because they never shy away from conflict. But ENTPs are unflinchingly honest, even about themselves, and they hold up a clear mirror to the world around them.
Here are some celebrities who fit in the ENTP type.
Law and politics provide a natural outlet for an ENTP’s debating skills.
- Rutherford B. Hayes, U.S. President. source
- James Garfield, U.S. President. source
- Theodore Roosevelt, U.S. President. source
- Catherine the Great leader of Russia. source
- Edmund Burke, English political philosopher. source
- Sir Walter Raleigh, English courtier and explorer. source
SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS
ENTPs flourish in the sciences, where intellectual debate is encouraged.
- Thomas Edison, U.S. inventor. source
- Leonardo da Vinci, Italian artist and inventor. source
- Benjamin Franklin, U.S. polymath. source
- Steve Wozniak, U.S. inventor and programmer. source
- Richard Feynman, U.S. physicist. source
- James Dyson, English inventor and designer. source
ENTPs may not always work well in a chain of command, but their analytical nature can be useful in creating plans.
- J. E. B. Stuart, Confederate general. source
- Alexander the Great, Macedonian general and king. source
AUTHORS & PHILOSOPHERS
ENTPs bring a clear, analytical edge to their writings.
- Socrates, Greek philosopher. source
- Francois Arouet (Voltaire), French satirist and philosopher. source
- Francois Rabelais, French satirist. source
- David Hume, Scottish philosopher. source
- Marilyn Vos Savant, U.S. newspaper columnist. source
- Dorothy L. Sayers, English mystery novelist. source
- Samuel Butler, English novelist. source
ACTORS, COMEDIANS, & ENTERTAINERS
ENFPs’ versatility and love of breaking taboos can serve them well as actors.
- Tom Hanks, U.S. actor. source
- Benedict Cumberbatch, English actor. source
- Neil Patrick Harris, U.S. actor and entertainer. source
- Jon Stewart, U.S. comedian and talk show host. source
- Ashton Kutcher, U.S. actor. source
- Amy Poehler, U.S. comedian and actress. source
- Chris Rock, U.S. comedian. source
- Alfred Hitchcock, English director. source
- John Cleese, English comedian. source
- Matthew Perry, U.S. actor. source
- Martin Scorsese, U.S. director. source
- Gene Wilder, U.S. actor. source
- Gillian Anderson, U.S. actor. source
- Rowan Atkinson, English comedian. source
- Lily Tomlin, U.S. actor. source
- Stephen Colbert, U.S. comedian and talk show host. source
- John Candy, U.S. actor. source
- Stephen Fry, English comedian and author. source
- Sacha Baron Cohen, English comedian and actor. source
- Sarah Silverman, U.S. comedian. source
- Larry David, U.S. writer and actor. source
- Bill Hicks, U.S. comedian. source
- Bill Maher, U.S. comedian and talk show host. source
- Adam Savage, U.S. television host and special effects designer. source
- Federico Fellini, Italian director. source
- Diablo Cody, U.S. scriptwriter. source
ENTP designers blaze new trails in their field, overturning old truisms.
- Karl Lagerfeld, German fashion designer. source
Musicians of the ENTP type tend to be thoughtful about style and genre.
- Weird Al Yankovic, U.S. parodist. source
- Frank Zappa, U.S. musician. source
- Harry Connick, Jr., U.S. singer. source
- David Evans (The Edge), British guitarist. source
- Tom Waits, U.S. singer-songwriter. source
- Les Paul, U.S. guitarist. source
- Dave Matthews, U.S. singer-songwriter. source
ENTPs love of argument can be a detriment in a business environment, but they excel at finding new opportunities.
- Mark Cuban, U.S. entrepreneur and investor. source
ENTPs are cerebral players who can analyze their game at its fundamental level, and fierce competitors as well.
- Babe Ruth, U.S. pitcher and slugger. source
- Red Auerbach, U.S. basketball coach. source
- Andrew Luck, U.S. quarterback. source
- Curt Schilling, U.S. pitcher. source
- Larry Fitzgerald, U.S. wide receiver. source
- Bill Russell, U.S. center. source
Finally, here are some figures from fiction who fit the ENTP type!
- Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones. source
- Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. source
- Tony “Iron Man” Stark from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. source
- Richard Castle from Castle. source
- Annie Hall from Annie Hall. source
- Nick Wilde from Zootopia. source
- Peter “Star-Lord” Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy. source
- Mark Watney from The Martian. source
- 10th Doctor from Doctor Who. source
- Thomas Barrow from Downton Abbey. source
- Sirius Black from Harry Potter. source
- Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother. source
- Cosima Nieuhaus from Orphan Black. source
- Plutarch from The Hunger Games. source
- Merry from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Dr. Julius Strangepork from The Muppets. source
- R2-D2 from Star Wars. source
- Merle from The Walking Dead. source